- A glass or two of wine can kill off any bacteria in your body that might cause you harm, such as food poisoning
- Wine dilates your blood vessels which improves your circulation
- A glass of wine does wonders for your mood - so reach for the wine rack next time you feel a little blue
- Drinking wine in moderation helps boost brain activity, and can reduce the risk of Alzheimer's
- Drinking wine can decrease the likelihood of heart disease in those over 40
- Wine, in moderation, combined with a healthy lifestyle (e.g. exercising more than twice a week), can keep healthy levels of good cholesterol which are good for your heart
- More than ten units a week can reduce the possibility of conceiving for women
- Drinking can trigger skin conditions, such as acne
- Drinking while pregnant can seriously harm the health of an unborn child
- More than three units of wine can have depressant effects on the drinker
- Wine is calorie-laden with no nutritional gain; it can also increase your appetite unnecessarily
- Only non-alcoholic red wine reduces blood pressure - sorry!
- Drinking in excess can lead to a higher risk of strokes and high blood pressure, along with weaker bones - osteoporosis
Things to Remember
The health benefits of wine are largely related to the ingredients used - for example; the deeper red wines contain plenty of antioxidants which are very good for you and can contribute to preventing heart disease.
Consider Bordeaux, Rioja, Merlot and Zinfandel; Chardonnay also has positive benefits.
The most important thing to remember is the serving size you pour yourself from your trusty wine rack. While most pubs and restaurants offer serving sizes between 125ml and 250ml, the units differ considerably by volume, as well as by size.
To recap, 125ml wine has the following units:
|9% ||10% ||11% ||12% ||13% ||14% |
|1 UNIT ||1.25 UNITS ||1.375 UNITS ||1.5 UNITS ||1.625 UNITS ||1.75 UNITS |
It is recommended that women do not exceed two units per day and men four units. If in doubt, always drink in moderation and avoid excessive or binge drinking, to enjoy wine as part of a balanced lifestyle.
For all your wine rack needs, please visit our website and see if anything catches your eye. We'll be more than happy to assist with any queries you may have, just get in touch with us.